HISTORIC RIVER PILOT HOME TOUR IN LECLAIRE, IOWA...
Iowa is located at a point where the Mississippi River makes a sharp bend to the
southwest. Le Claire's historic bond with the river and the bold men who tamed
the Upper Rapids is still visible in the homes and buildings they left behind.
On May 7, 1979, their homes were recognized as part of the nine block Cody Road
Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Most of
the homes are located along Cody Road and Second Street with a few between
Wisconsin and Dodge Streets.
All of the homes and buildings included in the Historic District were
constructed in the mid-19th century, mostly between 1850-1870, though style
form, size and materials of construction vary. Most prominent is the Italianate,
with examples of both brick and frame construction. The Greek Revival is
expressed in several modes, ranging from the relatively sophisticated to the
decidedly vernacular. Please enjoy this self-guided tour!
Please note: Many of these homes are currently private homes and/or businesses and are not
open for public viewing unless otherwise noted. All illustrations were created by local artists.
Dawley House - Open to
127 South 2nd. Street
Cody Road Historic District - LeClaire, Scott County
Some 60 structures compose the Cody Road Historic
District in LeClaire, ranged along both sides of a
9-block stretch of U.S. 67, locally known as Cody Road
and the community's principal thoroughfare. The road
runs north/south, parallel to, and slightly above, the
Mississippi River. It is heavily traveled, being the
main road between Clinton on the north and Davenport
about 15 miles to the southwest. The district contains
both residential and commercial structures, the latter
concentrated in the south end, and extending north along
the east side of Cody Road. Most of the residential
structures are found on the west side, facing the
The boundaries of the Cody Road Historic District have
been drawn to include all of the historic resources
along the street, and stop at the north and south ends
where modern construction fairly abruptly begins. On the
west side, the district begins with 102 N. Cody (NW
corner Cody and Dodge) and runs through 816 N. Cody. On
the east side, the district begins with the first of
three late 19th century commercial buildings (1 23 S.
Cody) and ends with 803 N. Cody. Intrusive structures
may be characterized wither as low, one-story blocks,
faced with brick or artificial siding (some with a
"rustic" look), or, on the west side in particular,
larger, glass-fronted buildings with deep setbacks and
large parking lots.
The Cody Road Historic District is significant both in
terms of architecture and of history. The 9-block-long
area contains (for a small town) a rich variety of
mid-to-late 19th century architecture and building
types, ranging from the simple utilitarianism of
workingmen's dwellings, and assorted forms of commercial
architecture, to relatively stylish" examples of
upper-middle-class residential construction.
Furthermore, many of these resources can be associated,
directly or indirectly with persons and activities that
formed the basis of LeClaire's reputation, from the
1850's through the 1870's, as a bustling center of
industry and commerce, and, above all, as a major
participant in the history of Mississippi River trade
The history of LeClaire began in the mid 1830's, when
the first settlers came to the area. By the end of that
decade, there were two towns platted, Parkhurst and
LeClaire, the former just north of the latter. Parkhurst
was eventually incorporated into LeClaire, along with
the narrow strip of land between them which during the
1850's was known as "Middletown." Of particular
importance in the history of the community was its
strategic location at the head of a 15 mile stretch of
rock-strewn water known as the Upper Rapids.
From the first, the Mississippi River played a
predominant role in the life of LeClaire. Apart from the
stone quarries and brickyards, early industry was mostly
milling - grist and lumber, the latter of particular
importance and longevity. Several fortunes were made in
lumber here, and were reflected in the fine residences.
of such men as William Headley (226 N. Cody) and James
McCaffrey (208 N. Cody).
River Pilot information was prepared by the LeClaire
Lioness in cooperation with Carol Farwell, editor.
Rewritten and published by permission of Jim Arpy,
Feature Writer, Quad City Times and
Dorothy Lage, teacher and long time resident of