*LeClaire, Iowa – Voted Best Place to Take an Out-of-Town Guest in the Quad City Times’ Readers’ Choice Awards for the 5th year in a row!
Step back in time and visit a bygone era when river pilots set-up their homes in Le Claire. Marvel in 19th century architecture, or take a guided tour of the sites. Learn how faded memories of the past come to life while exploring the historic sites and the Buffalo Bill Museum. For more information contact us today.
Antique Archaeology – American Pickers
Antique Archaeology specializes in the odd and unusual. Its owner, LeClaire’s own Mike Wolfe, is a professional antique picker. Mike and Frank Fritz are the hosts of American Pickers, a show on the History Channel.
Or by Appointment
Historic displays featuring Buffalo Bill, Civil War Display, river boats & James Ryan, inventor. Items in the Gift Shop include Geodes (Iowa’s State Rock), Marbles, and Hats Galore including: Union Soldier’s, Confederate Soldier’s, coonskin hats, cowboy hats, and feather headdresses!
LeClaire Community Library
323 Wisconsin (Corner of 3rd Street and Wisconsin)
(563) 289-4242 x 4
The Mission of the LeClaire Community Library is to enhance the intellectual, social, and cultural strength of our community. The library has free wireless Internet access as well as 7 public access computers, an adult reading room, children’s and teen area, study rooms, a large community room and free programming and events for the life-long learning of citizens of all ages.
www.leclaire.lib.ia.us | Facebook
LeClaire Libations Lane
We offer free public tours daily on the hour from 12:00-4:00pm or by appointment. If you’d like to schedule a tour for your family or group, please contact us at email@example.com or call the distillery at (563) 484-4342.
It is LeClaire’s own micro-distillery creating vodka, gin and bourbon from local grains! People who visit the distillery will be able to witness the entire process of liquor creation on site. From the milling of the grain to the fermentation, distillation, aging and bottling; everything from grain to glass will be done at the distillery.
Our shop features our handmade products as well as glassware, apparel and other souvenirs.
Scott County Freedom Rock
On the south end of the LeClaire Levee
The Freedom Rock Tour, created by the artist of The Freedom Rock; Ray “Bubba” Sorensen II, aims to boost tourism and spread the message of thanking our Veterans while providing a unique to their area Freedom Rock for all 99 counties in the great state of Iowa.
In dedication to the men and women who have so bravely served our country with unbelievable strength and courage, we are dedicating the surroundings of the Scott County Freedom Rock to these soldiers, firefighters, police officers and emergency responders.
Twilight River Boat Cruises
2 day overnight 166 mile river cruise from LeClaire to Dubuque
Front Street on the LeClaire Levee. Accommodations at the Riverfront Grand Harbor Resort in Dubuque.
www.riverboattwilight.com | Facebook
The Twilight Captain brings the history and stories of the river to life. You may even be invited up to the pilot house to experience the river the same way Mark Twain did over 150 years ago.
Each afternoon on board features a variety of folk musicians, humorists. Destination Dubuque activities include Museums, an Aquarium, Trolley Tours, Art Galleries, Historical Architecture and much, much more.
We see an average of 20-30 bald eagles on each cruise. In addition, we typically encounter 300-400 pelicans plus numerous egrets and blue herons. This is a wonderful opportunity to get up close to these spectacular creatures.
Year after year, Twilight is a favorite for Travel Groups, Clubs, Birthdays, Anniversaries plus Family and Military Reunions. Our All-Inclusive pricing and and first rate experience make the planner’s job quick and easy.
Wide River Winery Tasting Room & Courtyard
106 N. Cody Road
www.wideriverwinery.com | Facebook
Sample award-winning, locally made wines just one block North of the American Pickers. Choose up to 5 samples ranging from dry to sweet and keep your souvenir wine tasting glass.
Open 11am-6pm Sunday – Thursday and 11am-7pm Friday – Saturday.
Summer Music in the courtyard every Friday May – October from 5-8pm.
Open until 8pm on First Fridays
Bald Eagle and Pelican Viewing/Photography
Nature photographers and bird watchers will be delighted with the opportunities at Lock and Dam #14 on the Mississippi River in LeClaire to capture amazing photos and sightings of Bald Eagles in the Winter months and Pelicans that call LeClaire “home” during the Spring and Summer months. There are so many eagles in one place, you have to see it to believe it!
Eagles start to gather around the Lock and Dam on the South Side of LeClaire as soon as the ice starts forming in December and stay around through late February and early March.
Lock and Dam #14 is located on the Mississippi River, just off Highway 67 and just South of Interstate 80.
The photos of the eagles and pelicans on this page were taken by Burt Gearhart of LeClaire, Iowa.
To view his work, visit: https://burtgearhart.wordpress.com/
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED to form committees that will plan, organize and run new and current LeClaire Rec Board activities. If you are interested, contact us.
Located at 3rd and Ferry Streets.
- Buffalo Bill Museum, honoring LeClaire’s most famous native son, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, as well as local history and the Lone Star Steamer at the River Pilot’s Pier
- Boat Launch
- Public Restrooms
- Picnic areas
- Veteran’s Memorial
- Twilight River Boat Cruise Launch
- Scott County Freedom Rock – Facebook
(563) 289-4242 (City Hall phone)
LeClaire Civic Center
127 S. Cody Road
The LeClaire Civic Center is located in downtown LeClaire, Iowa and is owned and operated by the LeClaire Civic Club. It seats approximately 100 people with tables and chairs on-site. There is a kitchen facility that includes a serving counter, two sinks, refrigerator and commercial stove. An exterior lighted signs can announce your event and there is ample parking next to the building. Perfect for receptions, luncheons, exhibits, parties, and meetings.
www.leclairecivicclub.org | Facebook
(563) 639-4621 for reservations
(563) 289-4205 for general information
Located at 3rd and Ferry next to the LeClaire Rec Center
Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
Questions? LeClaire City Hall at 289-4242
This facility may be monitored by recording or other monitoring devices for security purposes.
Treat it with RESPECT – Keep it Clean – Be Safe – Have Fun!
Olathea Golf Course
23200 Great River Road
Pebble Creek Golf Course
9 hole golf course in the scenic, rolling hills of LeClaire
3851 Forest Grove Drive
201 N. 6th Street MAP
At the corner of Jones and 6th
1084 N. 2nd Street MAP
Behind Big Dave and Holly’s Dairy Sweet
River Pilot Homes
LeClaire, Iowa is located at a point where the Mississippi River makes a sharp bend to the southwest. Le Claire’s historic bond with the river and the bold men who tamed the Upper Rapids is still visible in the homes and buildings they left behind. On May 7, 1979, their homes were recognized as part of the nine block Cody Road Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Most of the homes are located along Cody Road and Second Street with a few between Wisconsin and Dodge Streets.
All of the homes and buildings included in the Historic District were constructed in the mid-19th century, mostly between 1850-1870, though style form, size and materials of construction vary. Most prominent is the Italianate, with examples of both brick and frame construction. The Greek Revival is expressed in several modes, ranging from the relatively sophisticated to the decidedly vernacular. Please enjoy this self-guided tour!
Please note: Many of these homes are currently private homes and/or businesses and are not open for public viewing unless otherwise noted. All illustrations were created by local artists.
127 South 2nd. Street
Currently Crane & Pelican Cafe
208 N. Cody Road
George Tromley Sr. House
806 N. Cody Road
Samuel Van Sant House
322 N. Cody Road
George Tromley, Jr. House
127 Jones Street
108 North 2nd Street
Jacob Suiter House
214 South 2nd Street
James Gamble House
527 Wisconsin Street
John H. Suiter
1220 North 2nd Street
|John Smith House
426 Dodge Street
|Old Mill House
419 N. Cody Road
William Suiter House
227 Wisconsin Street
430 N. Cody Road
Cody Road Historic District – LeClaire, Scott County
Some 60 structures compose the Cody Road Historic District in LeClaire, ranged along both sides of a 9-block stretch of U.S. 67, locally known as Cody Road and the community’s principal thoroughfare. The road runs north/south, parallel to, and slightly above, the Mississippi River. It is heavily traveled, being the main road between Clinton on the north and Davenport about 15 miles to the southwest. The district contains both residential and commercial structures, the latter concentrated in the south end, and extending north along the east side of Cody Road. Most of the residential structures are found on the west side, facing the Mississippi River.
The boundaries of the Cody Road Historic District have been drawn to include all of the historic resources along the street, and stop at the north and south ends where modern construction fairly abruptly begins. On the west side, the district begins with 102 N. Cody (NW corner Cody and Dodge) and runs through 816 N. Cody. On the east side, the district begins with the first of three late 19th century commercial buildings (1 23 S. Cody) and ends with 803 N. Cody. Intrusive structures may be characterized wither as low, one-story blocks, faced with brick or artificial siding (some with a “rustic” look), or, on the west side in particular, larger, glass-fronted buildings with deep setbacks and large parking lots.
The Cody Road Historic District is significant both in terms of architecture and of history. The 9-block-long area contains (for a small town) a rich variety of mid-to-late 19th century architecture and building types, ranging from the simple utilitarianism of workingmen’s dwellings, and assorted forms of commercial architecture, to relatively stylish” examples of upper-middle-class residential construction. Furthermore, many of these resources can be associated, directly or indirectly with persons and activities that formed the basis of LeClaire’s reputation, from the 1850’s through the 1870’s, as a bustling center of industry and commerce, and, above all, as a major participant in the history of Mississippi River trade and transportation.
The history of LeClaire began in the mid 1830’s, when the first settlers came to the area. By the end of that decade, there were two towns platted, Parkhurst and LeClaire, the former just north of the latter. Parkhurst was eventually incorporated into LeClaire, along with the narrow strip of land between them which during the 1850’s was known as “Middletown.” Of particular importance in the history of the community was its strategic location at the head of a 15 mile stretch of rock-strewn water known as the Upper Rapids.
From the first, the Mississippi River played a predominant role in the life of LeClaire. Apart from the stone quarries and brickyards, early industry was mostly milling – grist and lumber, the latter of particular importance and longevity. Several fortunes were made in lumber here, and were reflected in the fine residences. of such men as William Headley (226 N. Cody) and James McCaffrey (208 N. Cody).
River Pilot information was prepared by the LeClaire Lioness in cooperation with Carol Farwell, editor. Rewritten and published by permission of Jim Arpy, Feature Writer, Quad City Times and Dorothy Lage, teacher and long time resident of LeClaire.